It may be August, but the countdown has already begun for one of the most electrifying events of the year…Modernism Week Fall Preview
Few events draw as much attention and people to the Palm Springs desert each year. But that’s because no other place in the United States, or the world for that matter, is as tied to the history of the Mid-Century Modernism era.
Modernism Week Fall Preview this year has over 50 activities scheduled including, popular mid-century and modernism architecture and design lectures, lavish cocktail parties at some of Palm Springs’s most iconic homes, bike, bus and walking tours of local mid-century modern architecture and buildings. For Modernism lovers, this 4-day event sparks a heightened level of energy and excitement that carriers them right through to Modernism Week in February.
Click here for the complete 4-day schedule of events: www.ModernismWeek.com
Modern Design with a Dash of Hollywood Panache
Frank Sinatra hired renowned architect E. Stewart Williams in 1947 to build his Twin Palms Mid-Century home located in the Movie Colony. Bob Hope’s dramatic John Lautner-designed, 23,366-square-foot Palm Springs residence, although built in 1979 rises like a giant mushroom cloud high on the horizon. John Lautner is also famous for having built The Elrod House in 1968, an example of free architecture. Anyone that’s seen the James Bond film Diamonds are Forever, will remember the scenes of the living room, swimming pool and an interior room of the Willard Whyte's mansion in the 1971 James Bond film Diamonds Are Forever.
Find your perfect Mid-Mod home at www.MidModPalmSprings.com
The Hamilton Group Specializes in Sandpiper Condos, Palm Desert, Designed by Renowned Architects Palmer & Krisel
Sandpiper homes are a classic and historical example of the modernistic style. Built from 1958 to 1969 the complex of 300+ homes is designed for maximum privacy. Pools, spas, putting green, lush landscaping, and a short stroll to El Paseo’s trendy restaurants and shops make Sandpiper a favorite among Mid-Century favorite among Mid-Century devotees.
Purists will want to buy one of the homes in Circles 5-12, designed by architects Palmer & Krisel, and now designated a Historic District by the city of Palm Desert.
To find your very own Mid-Century Modern at Sandpiper, go to www.Sandpiper4sale.com or give us a call at 760-625-7229
Modernism Week Activities – More than 50 Activities and Events
Taken from the Modernism Week website, here are a few of some of the exciting and fun events to whet your appetite!
H3K Design’s Green Gables: Designed by Palmer-Krisel and built in 1958 by the Alexander Construction Company.
A three-bedroom, two-bathroom home at the gateway to the Twin Palm development is undergoing a complete renovation by H3K Design. It features walls of glass, dramatic ceilings and natural stone walls. This is the public debut of the house. Tours run from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Oct. 20 and Oct. 21. Cost is $30. Modernism Week will have a box office at H3K Home where people can purchase tickets for events in person.
Home Tour with Vintage Car: Modernism Week will have a box office at 501 S. Palm Canyon Drive, Palm Springs where people can purchase tickets for events in person.
- Cul-de-Sac Experience: At Canyon View Estates #4, the tour combines vintage automobiles artfully displayed on the driveways of six homes designed by William Krisel. Access to all homes will be provided on the tour. At 10 a.m. Oct. 21. Cost is $65. Modernism Week will have a box office at 501 S. Palm Canyon Drive, Palm Springs where people can purchase tickets for events in person.
Parties - Folks in retro attire pose by the Sinatra pool during a Modernism Week event.
- ‘Mod Mirage’ Sunset Party: ‘White Shadows,’ one of the oldest hillside homes in Thunderbird Heights in Rancho Mirage. The home was designed in 1957 by Henry Eggers of Eggers & Wilkman (previously a partner with Gordon Kaufmann). ‘White Shadows’ has never before been open to the public. From 5-8 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 21. Cost $100.
- Moroccan Midcentury Modern: The recently renovated Sands Hotel & Spa in Indian Wells. The hotel was built in the 1950s but recently reimagined in 2018 by interior designer Martyn Lawrence Bullard. Includes a cocktail and a bite from the Pink Cabana, the hotel’s ultra-stylish new restaurant. From 2 to 4:30 p.m. October. 19. Cost is $60.
Popular Bus Tour
- Premier Double Decker Architectural Bus Tour: All weekend long these 2 1/2-hour tours showcase significant buildings as well as iconic homes. Daily tours depart from the parking lot of H3K Home, 501 S. Palm Canyon Drive in Palm Springs. Modernism Week will have a box office there where attendees may purchase tickets to Fall Preview events.
- Lost, Saved & Endangered: Architectural enthusiast Gary Johns with the Palm Springs Preservation Foundation will discuss and detail the many architectural treasures in the Coachella Valley that have been preserved, destroyed or that face an uncertain future. At 9 a.m. Oct. 21 at the Palm Springs Woman’s Club. Free but must RSVP in advance.
To get top dollar for your mid-century home, having an expert REALTOR makes all the difference. We specialize in mid-century and modern home sales and purchases. Call Dan or Reuben. Let us show you how we can turn your real estate goals into reality. 760.625.7229 or email:firstname.lastname@example.org
The Hamilton Real Estate Group. Experience the Difference!